Monday, May 6, 2013

NWSL Successful So Far

Hey everybody, pulling some time outta this busy thing we call life to talk some soccer. I never stop talking soccer, regardless of the long stretches I'm away from this page. Its just a little bit of an extra task to pull up the ol' blog and write these things down, after chatting it up with my fellow fans around the world. Of course in a perfect world I'd love to go back to giving the Weekly Review for the NWSL. I can't promise it'll happen, and knowing my history with this blog, it may not happen for a little while. However I'm a proud Sky Blue FC ticket holder this season and I plan to be immersed in this new league. As I sit here on my couch, taking a small break from all the term papers, finals, presentations, and obligations that have been taking up the majority of my life in the past few months, I remember that the NWSL is our new, budding league, and not all that long ago, we were all huddled around our computers or TVs watching the WPS action unfold. The only thing I'd want to be different this time, is for this league to actually stick around. Third time's a charm, right?

Anyway, I figured I'd get out a few talking points now that we're about 4 weeks into the season. This isn't a Weekly Review, just simply some things I think are very worth mentioning for this young league.

First off, I'd just like to say: Portland. That city knows how to support its teams. When they said Portland was a soccer city, they meant it. Their opening match had 16,479 in attendance. For an opening match for a team, not even the league's inaugural match mind you, that's not too shabby at all. But of course it doesn't hurt when Canadian all-star Christine Sinclair, and young talent Alex Morgan are at the helm. Oh, and let's not forget the charismatic Karina LeBlanc is between the pipes. Portland has a good thing going, and they're extremely strong. They're top of the table, but that's no surprise. With Sincy and A-Morg in tow, you'll never have to worry about scoring.

Another point I'd like to bring up is the face that there seems to be more parity in this installment of a WoSo league. Allocations were equal and well-distributed, from the USA, Canada, and Mexico. Although its impossible to say right now, it does seem like this league is up for complete grabs. Portland seems like the strongest team right now, but I wouldn't equate them to the WNY Flash of 2011, the FC Gold Pride of 2010, or the LA Sol of 2009. No, it seems like this may be a tight race through and through.

I also have to commend each team for giving us all webcasts to watch on the weekends. I think the TV companies are a little slow on the uptake for the broadcasting rights (16,479 is nothing to sneeze at).

Well that's it for now folks, just a few talking points. See you around soon, and here's to the NWSL!

Denise

No comments:

Post a Comment