Thursday, September 30, 2010

A Few Random Things

Below are some random topics currently up for discussion in the women's soccer world



Hello everyone! There's a couple of things going on in the women's soccer world right now, and there's also some things coming up soon, so I figured, why don't I just talk about them together in one post? Let's talk about some things that are up for discussion.

Canada vs. China PR- That match is today! In fact, it'll be on at 7:30pm. If you're a Canadian, there's a great chance that this game is going to be broadcast via Sports Net or something like that. I live in the United States, so I wouldn't know. I'm a blooming fan of the Canada WNT, and some of my favorite WPS players hail from Canada, so I'm rooting for them on this one! I'm going to try and see if I can get it on some website like justin.tv or maybe find a link on google that doesn't look shady (harder than it sounds). I'll probably post the results of this match later today, or sometime this weekend. Even though WPS is over, women's soccer around the world continues. Actually, with WPS done, it does shed new light on internationals and qualifications for the World Cup, so WPS did leave us fans off with something equally exciting!


WPS Rumors- Recently, there have been rumors circulating about Abily parting ways with FC Gold Pride, to go play with her home club in France; Olympic Lyonnais (Lyon). Supposedly, she stated a desire to go back to France because of upcoming practice with her home country for Women's World Cup. It has also been rumored that Bompastor is expressing desires to return to her home country of France, also due to practice for the World Cup competition. Also, rumors regarding Cristiane's future have surfaced, stating that she will be returning to her native Brazil. None of these have been confirmed, but even if these rumors are true, would the internationals come back to WPS? Some people are starting to worry that the Internationals are all going to leave in droves to their home country's league in order to be present when qualifiers/practice friendlies take place. If the internationals want to go, then fine. I can understand their desires to leave based on international practices. But, some people have been going overboard, saying that if the internationals leave, WPS is doomed. I personally don't believe this. There is a ton of domestic talent still here in WPS, and people seem to forget that. If anything, the World Cup should really help the growth and popularity of the women's game. Believe it or not, we're hitting the same spot the WUSA did. It had about 2 years under its belt, and when the 2003 World Cup came, the league was terminated. I think this is a big step for the WPS. If it can get past this offseason, and if it can survive the 2011 season (even though many stars will be out of WPS for the World Cup during the months of June/July, the WWC can only help the women's game. It might help to spur interest in countries around the World) then I think it will be here to stay. We might have gone through some rough obstacles, for example losing 2 teams, but this is a fairly new league and we have to give it time. I'm confident that the WPS will stick around. This will probably be the hardest time for WPS. If it can survive another season, I say its here to stay.


USWNT vs. China PR- Our very own USWNT will be playing China PR this Saturday. The US Women have been working hard at training camp as usual, and will be facing off against the Chinese on 2 dates: October 2nd and 6th. These will be the last matches they'll play before the CONCACAF Gold Cup starting October 28th. Now, this is the part where I tell you what channel its on...but wait...oh that's right, its not being televised! Well, at least not the first match. I'm sure I'm speaking for every other USWNT fan when I say: "What the hell?!" Why aren't BOTH matches being televised? Now, I'd hate to sound like a whiny complainer, who's spoiled from seeing all my team's matches on TV, but let me ask you this: Do the Sports networks miss any of the men's friendlies? I wouldn't know, but my guess would be No. Come on people, I thought the days of not having domestic matches televised were over! I know we've come a long way with our matches being televised 90% of the time (only domestic. If its overseas...you're outta luck. That's something we've gotta work on.), but seriously! Its a domestic match in KSU stadium for crying out loud (Atlanta Beat's home, ring a bell?). Look, the televising of women's soccer has gotten progressively better in the U.S. For example, the U-20 women's World Cup was televised almost completely, and all of the USA's games were televised. Hats off to the channel that put it on TV, U-20 is lesser known to begin with, let alone the women's side. Still, we have to work on the televising a little more. I'm still waiting for the day when we can watch a match that's happening overseas (friendlies and Algarve Cup, for example. Important competitions are always aired, like World Cup, but what about friendlies? They can get it done for the men, so why not the women?). Well, that turned into a little bit of a rant there. Anyway, I'm going to be on my computer come Saturday, searching feverishly for any online TV links. I doubt it'll work, so I know its safe to say that come 6pm ET, I'll be sitting here watching our very own USWNT take on China PR on match tracker (if they'll even give us fans that much! Haha, I kid...kind of). I'll always be supporting our USWNT, whether its at a live game, watching on TV, or cheering them on from a match tracker computer screen. But, I'll be watching them on TV come the 6th, when they play China PR again. Catch that one on ESPN 2, at 7pm ET.

Oceania Qualifications-The regional qualifiers for the Oceania region started yesterday. I haven't looked up any of the results yet, but for all you fans out there of any Oceania team, qualifiers started, so cheer your teams on! I might post a little later today, probably about the Canada game, and I might research some of the scores.


Well, hope you enjoyed this miscellaneous post I threw together here. Expect some more of those.

See you again soon,

Denise

No comments:

Post a Comment