Friday, May 28, 2010

Another One Bites The Dust

The St.Louis Athletica, one of the original 7 WPS Teams, has been discontinued due to financial problems.

Yesterday was a sad day in WPS history, as yet another team franchise has been discontinued. This time it was the St.Louis Athletica, one of the original 7 WPS teams. St.Louis had received many players from the LA Sol, the first team that had been discontinued during the off-season, and now, like the Sol, they are also going to disappear from the league. The Athletica had known of a financial danger about 2 weeks prior to its shutting down, but after reviewing options, they found that the St.Louis Athletica would not be able to survive, and the owners canceled all operations. The WPS is now back down to 7 teams, the original number the league started with in its 2009 inaugural season. The schedule will be adjusted for a 7 team league format. All of St.Louis' players have become free agents, and are free to sign with any other WPS team. The players will still be able to participate in the All-Star match, if they sign with a team by June 11.

The discontinuation of teams has become a scary reality for the WPS. There have already been 2 teams discontinued due to financial issues. I'm sure this doesn't sit well with any WPS fan, because I know that I feel pretty uncomfortable right now with how the future looks. I seriously hope the state of things improve. It makes me genuinely upset to hear information about anything bad happening in the league, especially the shutting down of a team franchise. I seriously hope this doesn't happen anymore, to any WPS team, and especially not the league itself. I'm afraid that this might be a repeat of the WUSA, where the league will last for a few years, and then collapse. I love this league very much, and I hate to see these kinds of things happen. This is a great league, that gives women's soccer players the opportunities that they deserve, and it also allows its loyal fans to follow women's soccer on a league level. I wish the WPS much success, and for them to experience this success for many years to come. We need to do all we can to ensure that the league we love sticks around. Whether its going to a game, buying a jersey, spreading the word about WPS through blogs and other media, or just being a loyal fan, we need to do everything in our power to make sure the WPS is not a repeat of the WUSA. I love the WPS too much to see it go down. Its an excellent league that is representing women's soccer and its players here in the United States. Women's soccer has grown since the '99 World Cup, and is continuing its growth. Today, it is filled with new talent and new personality. I think I speak for every fan when I say women's soccer is something special. Our players are humble, grounded, and passionate, and deserve much more support than they get. These players always stay true to their roots, and never let the fame and title of being a professional athlete go to their heads. Instead, they stay humble and loyal to their fans, and play their hearts out every time they step onto the field. I have been a fan of men's and women's soccer, and I can honestly say, I have never felt the kind of respect and personal attachment for men's soccer, that I have for women's soccer. In men's soccer, the players seem more distant, and the barrier between fan and player is practically visible. There are way too many egos in men's soccer, and when it comes down to it, its almost always about the money. The players are not as interactive with the fans either. Its a much different atmosphere for women's soccer. The players in women's soccer are selfless to a fault, and play incredibly hard every game, even though they receive a pittance compared to what the men's players receive. In women's soccer, it really isn't about the money at all. I feel closer and more attached to the players as well, as they truly appreciate the fans and interact much more with them. These women play with immense passion for the sport they love, and for their fans, and yet they get paid less, and do not have nearly as much support as they deserve. The difference between men's soccer and women's soccer can best be explained with an analogy me and my friend always use: Men's Soccer is like a huge corporation. Less personal, much bigger, more robotic, and the fans feel more disposable. Women's soccer is like the small, modest, privately owned family business. The owners work hard everyday,and truly appreciate their loyal customers. Its more of a close-knit bond between owner and customer, a business where things are much more personal.

Hope you enjoyed my little rant about why women's soccer is almost inexplicably unique. Every time I try to describe that special "something" I can never find the right words. I tried, and I think I did a fair job. All in all, women's soccer is something very special to its fans, and we don't want to see the sport take another step back. We need to move forward, and I hope the WPS does too, for many many years to come. These players deserve it, and we need to give them tons of support. They're good to us fans, and now we should give back to them, by helping support the further growth of women's soccer, and by making sure the WPS doesn't go under.

Here's to the prosperous future of the WPS, and women's soccer in general.

Denise

2 comments:

  1. Great post! We need to support womens soccer and keep it around and let it grow! Like you said, it just has a different feel than mens soccer and I love it! Anytime a team goes down, it affects the whole entire league. I was not a fan of the Athletica, but now that there gone, I realize how much every team means to this league and womens soccer in general. So yep, support the teams, spread the word, go to games, buy merchandise, theres something good everyones been missing out on, and that something is WOMENS SOCCER!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Amen. Women's soccer truly deserves support and growth. Like I said, its something special. I love Women's soccer, and I would do anything to help support it. Let's keep Women's soccer alive in the U.S.! These ladies deserve it!

    ReplyDelete